When you decide to rent a boat for your next holidays, some of the doubts that come up are the organization of the food on the boat; What kind of food and how much to buy, which containers are better to store, what things are essential, …
The organization of provisions on a boat is very important. It is essential to maintain a good diet and stay hydrated during the entire cruise, especially on the hottest days.
Also the preparation of meals on board is a task that must be planned ahead and distributed among the crew members.
According to the destination, you may have the option to order the supplies in advance. In most of the yacht charter is now possible to fill a provisions list in advance so you can have all the shopping on board when you arrive at the base. Also you can go to any supermarket near to the base and do the shopping by yourselves before boarding.
We give you some guidelines and recommendations on how to provision your boat during a sailing holidays.
Tips for provision your boat for your sailing holiday:
1. The best idea is to buy most of the provisions before embarking, especially heavy things like drinks, milk, breakfast, some fruits and vegetables, everything that is considered basic. Then you only have to stop to buy fresh food or local products.
2. It is cheaper to buy all the supplies in a large supermarket than in small and local stores.
3. Consider the meals preferences of all the crew and take into account possible allergies.
4. Bring enough food for all the sailing trip, but keep a control in the quantity considering the limited space of the boat’s kitchen. You can always buy what you are missing at different stops made during the cruise.
5. Use perishable food first.
6. Avoid buying foods that are easily damaged, as well as over processed products. It is more recommendable le to buy fresh products; quality meats, fruits, vegetables, olive oil, nuts, bread, etc.
7. Can or plastic bottles are the best containers to avoid spills, for example, you can use bottles of milk instead of tetra-brik. It is also good to bring hermetic bags or tappers to store leftover foods and open containers.
8. Store all the provisions in the kitchen cabinets and check that all the containers are properly closed before setting sails.
9. Buy a good quantity of mineral water bottles, juices and soft drinks without caffeine to stay hydrated. Alcoholic drinks are welcome on board, but always in moderation. The excess of alcohol can cause more dehydration and dizziness, especially to those who are likely to seasickness.
10. Bringing prepared food for the first and second day of cruise avoid that anyone has to cook the first day. The crew can spend the first day accommodating themselves in the cabins and enjoying some free time on the boat.
11. A sailing holiday can be a great opportunity to try the local products of every destination. You can make different stops and buy fresh fish and seafood, traditional products, special drinks, seasonal fruit, gourmet products, etc
How much does it cost to provision a boat for a sailing holiday?
It depends on many factors, such as the sailing area, the number of people, the type of food, how many times are you going to dine out, etc.
The best solution is to decide a budget per person and day. You will have then a total budget and will be easier to organize ths provisions for your sailing trip.
If you travel with a tight budget, you can organize meals easily for 10-20 euros/person/day. Also depending on destination, food and drink prices change.
And now it is even easier to organize provisions on a boat with our special provisions check list designed for sailing holidays.
Whether it is your first time renting a boat or you are experienced sailor, with this provisions Check List you will have everything under control!