Sailing holidays with children are increasing in popularity. Nautical tourism is a great way to spend time with the family combining boating with different activities and tourism.
Children can do many activities on board a boat, from practicing their skills of swimming, doing crafts or learning how to sail and helping with the daily tasks.
When planning to rent a boat with children it is important to prepare some activities for them to have fun and be distracted. Here are some ideas and suggestions to organize a successful family sailing trip:
1. When traveling with kids, they should pack something that they like and which are easily distracted as; a board game, a puzzle , a toy, a book, etc.
2. For the little ones it is always a good idea to bring crayons and notebooks maybe with some nautical topics; boats, animals, nature. When choosing the material of the colors it is important to consider that the boat will be moving most of the time and you must avoid temperas or materials that can cause damages in the furniture of the boat.
If your children enjoy reading, it can be fun to carry some books with pirates and sailors adventures or about the marine life in the sailing destination.
3. Crafting can also be a lot of fun; Make pirate flags, show the kids how to make paper boats, pirate swords, sticker book, …
4. Making up a treasure hunt history can be fun and also a good way to teach the kids the different parts of the boat. You can also tell stories about the different islands or places that you are going to visit during the sailing trip.
5. Bring binoculars if you want to observe the birds or announce the sighting of land from the ship, land ahoy!
6. Children can collaborate in the tasks of the boat, so they can feel involved in the sailing experience, for example, they can sit at the helm and learn how to handle the boat under the supervision of the skipper.
7. In the case of teenagers, you can propose them to bring a travel diary and write about the different activities and places they visit during the trip. You can also buy a map of the sailing area so they can mark the places they visit along the sailing route; islands, bridges, bays … This is an original idea that helps to keep the memories of the trip and is very useful if you later want to make a photo album with comments of every day.
8. Water activities; snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, swimming, paddle board, Etc.
9. Enjoy sunrise and sunsets and observe the stars from some quiet bay, this is a beautiful experience that kids cannot miss out.
10. If you do not travel with other family or friends, the marinas can be a good place to meet other families with children or groups with whom to share experiences and curiosities about the destination. A family sailing holiday is ideal for making new friends!
We hope these ideas help you to plan the sailing trip with the children. Renting a boat for holidays is ideal for children to live new experiences, enjoy family time and learn new things.