Once you have decided the destination and booked your yacht charter, all you can think about is start packing your suitcase for your sailing trip.
Are you a first-time sailor and are not sure about what to wear on your first sailing trip? or Are you an experienced sailor that need a checklist to make sure you take all the essential? We are going to give you some tips on what to pack for a sailing holiday.
TIPS ON WHAT TO PACK FOR A SAILING HOLIDAY
- BAGS: Spaces on the boat are very limited, avoid bringing hard suitcases that can also cause damage to teak decks. A soft bag can be folded and easily stored in a small closet, saving space on the boat.
- TRAVEL DOCUMENTS:
- Passport or VISA
- Sailing license (for bareboat charter)
- Booking documents and information about the departure base.
- Flight Tickets, driving license, cash/credit cards (for boat deposit),
- SHOES: It’s totally forbidden use regular street shoes on board. You should use sports shoes with white gum sole and avoid walking barefoot for safety. It’s better to use close-toed shoes(water shoes for example) than flip-flops. Those are very practical for walking on the beach or if you use the showers facilities in the port.
- COMFORTABLE CLOTHING: A couple of swimsuits, T-shirts, shorts and something casual for the evenings is all you need. If you are sailing during the hottest months, you will be most of the time in the boat on a swimsuit. It’s a good idea to include a windproof jacket in case of stronger winds. Nights are colder and wet in the sea, don’t forget to take a sweater or jacket and some long trousers. Some yachts include bath towels and sheets and many charter companies provide beach towels. We recommend you to ask in case you need to bring your own.
- ENTERTAINMENT: If you want to explore the wonders of the marine world, do not forget your snorkel and mask. Some charter companies provide snorkel gear, kayaks, paddle board, fishing road… don’t forget to ask!
At sea, you will be often without Wifi or cell service, giving you the opportunity to disconnect and spend time relaxing. It can be a good time to read a book or play a card game with the rest of the crew.
- Sunglasses with straps to avoid falls into the water.
- Sun protection and after-sun.
- A hat or a cap, but be careful with the wind!
- A toiletry bag (toothbrush, toothpaste, combs, shampoo, anti-mosquito, etc.).
- If you think you can get seasick when getting on a boat, it’s a good idea to bring some anti-dizziness pills (better with caffeine to prevent sleep). And if you usually take some kind of medication, do not forget it!
- In case of bareboat charter, consider bringing; gloves, flashlight, multi-purpose knife, water-resistant watch and lighter (matches).
- ELECTRONICS: Regarding electronic devices; Cameras, mobile phones, computers, hair dryers.. you need to ask if you will be able to recharge them onboard. Maybe you need to bring a converter plug.
- A waterproof bag for documents and phones
- A camera extra battery
- 12v charger for mobile phones
- Some music
- An itinerary plan or travel guide
- Activities plan for children
- Clothes peg to hang clothes or close wrappings.
- Don’t forget your waterproof camera to immortalize the best moments of your sailing holiday!
Use these tips to help you pack for your boat trip in the Mediterranean, the Caribbean or the destination of your choice.
Bon voyage sailors!